As T20 cricket evolved in recent years, the demand for bowlers in comparison to batsmen is also increased. You have already seen in IPL Auction 2021, where the bowlers are brought for whopping prices by Franchise for their services. In tournaments like the Indian Premier League, there is hard to predict who can win the purple cap in IPL 2021 because of a lot of competition. However, we will try to predict the players who are the top contenders for Purple Cap in the Indian Premier League in 2021.
Who wore Purple Cap in IPL??
The Bowler who takes the maximum number of wickets in the Indian Premier League season wore the Purple Cap at the end of the season. Interestingly three bowlers winning the Purple Cap have won the IPL Trophy. Sohail Tanvir, RP Singh, and Bhuvneshwar Kumar are the bowlers who did it. Latest Kagiso Rabada holds the purple cap in IPL 2020 in UAE. Below is the list of bowlers who won this cap in IPL history.
|IPL 2008||Sohail Tanvir||11||22|
|IPL 2009||RP Singh||16||23|
|IPL 2010||Pragyan Ojha||16||21|
|IPL 2011||Lasith Malinga||16||28|
|IPL 2012||Morne Morkel||16||25|
|IPL 2013||Dwayne Bravo||18||32|
|IPL 2014||Mohit Sharma||16||23|
|IPL 2015||Dwayne Bravo||16||26|
|IPL 2016||Bhuvneshwar Kumar||17||23|
|IPL 2017||Bhuvneshwar Kumar||14||26|
|IPL 2018||Andrew Tye||14||24|
|IPL 2019||Imran Tahir||17||26|
|IPL 2020||Kagiso Rabada||17||30|
Bowlers Who Can Win the Purple cap in IPL 2021
Now we will discuss the five bowlers who are capable of winning this cap in IPL 2021. We have not included Kagiso Rabada and Jofra Archer in this list because both may skip the initial part of the Indian Premier League 2021. Jorfra Archer recently out for the ODI series against India.
- Jasprit Bumrah: Jasprit Bumrah will be the top contender for the purple cap in the Indian Premier League as he narrowly missed out on the purple cap award in the last IPL season in UAE. Jasprit Bumrah took 27 wickets in 15 IPL games in the last edition of IPL. He had the best bowling average last season too. Jasprit Bumrah will try to repeat his previous year’s performance.
- Bhuvneshwar Kumar: Bhuvneshwar Kumar who made his comeback on the National side recently after recovering from an injury, is another contender to watch out for the purple cap in IPL 2021. Previously, Bhuvneshwar had won this title twice. He won the purple cap in two consecutive IPL seasons 2016 and 2017. He is looking in good form in the recently concluded T20 series against England.
- Rashid Khan: Rashid Khan has impressed everyone with his bowling skill. We have included him in the list of players who can win this cap in IPL 2021 because his team will play five games in Chennai. Imran Tahir is the only leg-spinner who won the purple cap in 2018. Chennai’s wicket generally helps spinners.
- Yuzvendra Chahal: Apart from Pragyan Ojha, no Indian spinner has won the award for the purple cap in the history of the Indian Premier League. Among Indian spinners, Yuzvendra Chahal is the top contender for winning the purple cap in IPL 2021. Chahal could become the first player from the Royal Challengers Bangalore team to win this award.
- Pat Cummins: Pat Cummins who was the costliest overseas player before the Indian Premier League Auction 2021 will try to forget his previous year’s performance and will try to justify the faith shown by KKR management. In the previous season of the Indian Premier League, He picked 12 wickets in 14 games with a bowling average of 34.08. Australian pacer Pat Cummins had won many awards from around the world for his bowling and will be looking for this award too. Though Pat Cummins has never won this award.
Recommend category- Cricket Match prediction
Also, check out best Indian Premier Team.